Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

EASY DRUG CALCULATION IN 50 ML SYRINGE PUMP

If you load 3mg/kg of DOPAMINE / DOBUTAMINE / GTN / MILRINONE in a 50 ml syringe, then infusion @ 1 ml/hr of any of these drug will result in delivery of 1 μg/kg/min of the same

If you load 0.3 mg/kg of ADRENALINE / NOR ADRENALINE / ISOPRENALINE in a 50 ml syringe then infusion @ 1 ml/hr of any of these drug will result in delivery of  0.1 μg/kg/min of the same

If you load 3units/kg of VASOPRESSIN in a 50 ml syringe, then infusion @ 1 ml/hr of any of these drug will result in delivery of 0.001 units/kg/min of the same

e.g. If your patient weighs 60 kg, and you want to start Dopamine @ 5μg/kg/min; you load 3x60=180mg of Dopamine and dilute it to 50 ml in a 50ml syringe. Now if u start the infusion @1ml/hr, it will deliver 1μg/kg/min of Dopamine. We want it to run @ 5μg/kg/min. So keep it at 5ml/hr.

8 comments:

dgm said...

Could you add on basis of rule of Six or rule of three.anything connected with body water ratios ?

Unnikrishnan P said...

Couldn't understand ur question...

dgm said...

so for 60 kg patient, to break 18 adrenaline ampoules?

Dr. Raviprakash K said...

Dear Dr. Unnikrishnan,
Thanks a lot for the guidance. I was confronted with having to presribe Dopamine through the Syringe Pump we had recently bought. I was not knowing how to guide my nursing personnel to prepare the standard concentration of dopamine. If I had taught them 'wrongly' then it would have resulted in confusion when I learnt the correct way and come back and told them that it was not the way to set up. Therefore it was very great that you put up this information on the net for beginners like me. Thanks a lot

Dr. Raviprakash said...

Dear Dr. Unnikrishnan,
I was confronted with having to start a dopamin infusion through a new syringe pump that we had bought recently. My nursing staff and myself had no first hand experience of having used one. Your information available on the net helped me a great deal in setting up the concentration in the sytinge. I was worried that if I had taught them 'wrongly' once it was very difficult to make them unlearn whatever said earlier and therefore I had to teach them correctly. The information you had left on the net became very useful to me. Thanks a lot.

Unknown said...

thanks thanks a lot

Unknown said...

thanks a lot sir

girish said...

Complicated